Thursday, June 25, 2009

Confessions of a Single mind

It’s amazing how fast things change nowadays, it’s not even been 1 year since I left Kolkata and gosh things have change. Nowadays, when people ask you about yourself, you can’t escape this question, “Are you going around with someone?”. And if the answer is NO!, they look at you and think, “Is he some kind of an alien?”. They cross question you, “You broke-up with someone?”, and if your answer is still NO, they conclude there is something wrong with you and you need some mental help. Being single, these days can be a really troublesome. This holiday I began to observe the habits of both single and “committed” people and tried to come to a conclusion whether being single is bliss or a curse. I am going to talk about various observations or rather experiences which I had during this summer.


1) Cell-Phone: It’s like bare minimum necessity for the committed people. It’s funny to see that just 5 mins after they have met they start talking on their cells again. They call up their partner about five times a day and talk for at least 15 mins each time. I don’t know what they discuss, but its certainly not Indian politics. They fight over the phone and go on telling people how they fought and made up with each other. Wow! and people say world is undergoing an economic recession. For single people it’s nothing more than an information box, because the only people who call them are their parents, to know what time they are coming home.


Inference: If you are in cell-phone industry you worship Cupid.


2) Friends: It’s like an extra for committed people, when their partner is not around they call up these people named “friends”, and tell them about their love life. If the friend is committed he or she will compare their love life with them. If the friend is single, then well all the friend says in the conversation is hello and bye. Single people are well single, because most of their childhood friends are committed now, and if any friend is single then they talk about the friends who are committed. If you are single (lets consider you are a guy) and you are going out with a childhood friend who is committed now, and his girlfriend is also coming along. Then you have to be at your best Sunday morning behaviour. You can use no slang, no PJ’s, or you put your friend in bad light, and that friend might never ever talk to you again.


Inference: Friends are randomly happening phenomena for couples, but if you are single, you really are single.


3) Park: Few weeks back I met a friend of mine, and he came up with the idea of going to a park, where we used to jog in our younger days. It used to be a really good joggers park with a lake in between and atmosphere used to be really good. When we reached there we were literally scandalized to see what had happened to the environment of the place. It was littered with couples making out, and as me and my friend were taking a lap of the park, ironically people gave us a scandalizing look. They were thinking that we were you know what!


Inference: If you are single make sure you go to a park with more than one person.


4) Opinions: Well when you are committed your taste starts to change, and mostly for the worst. When I had a crush on someone I used to listen to “Hey there Delilah”, while I had grown up listening to Pink Floyd and Eagles (Man I still can’t believe that happened). People who are committed would rather be rich than famous. To the couples the whole world revolves around them. Well for singles, their friends were the world to them but what they got was a reality check, and they finally end up doing something constructive and more fun.


Inference: Being committed can be beneficial, as they say “Ignorance is bliss”.


Taking all this into account I can now safely say, Single is Sexy! Look at Richard Branson, he’s rich, he’s single and he is a rockstar. Even though I miss my friends a lot but nothing in this world can replace them. I rather cherish the memories of the past than metamorphosize into someone I don’t like.


P.S.: No offence intended to anyone in particular.

To my friends: If your partner finds this offensive and breaks up with you, I will treat you to a drink at Someplace Else ;-).

9 comments:

  1. Nice one mate!
    Pay a little more attention to the grammar though - you got carried away writing...Not that I can blame you!
    Amazing post!
    And for the last part - I sure hope the committed people make their partners see this! I'd like to see you robbed for once - you got away with the super-over thing at CCD last time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya actually i was in bit of a hurry bcoz my house is being renovated and i had to vacate the room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dude... my gf broke up with me because of this...so you're treating me at someplace the next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Singlehood is turning out to be not as bad as I could have imagined. Miss my friends though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. yea, modi, mine too, I'll be in cal 18th, SPE?

    ReplyDelete
  7. brilliant post as everyone has already said,especially liked the second point i must say,u cud also have cited the example of our own desi rockstar vijay mallaya!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete